Hey friends! This lovely spring weather is making me crave smoothies something big! I absolutely love smoothies & smoothie bowls (remember my copycat Tropical Smoothie post from last year!?), they’re perfect for breakfast, snack or dessert and they taste like ice cream but they’re sooo much better for you! I’ve been seeing them all over Pinterest lately and I had to share some inspiration and ideas with you guys!
How To Make A Smoothie Bowl (or a smoothie):
1. Start with fruit. Choose at least 2 fruits for your smoothie bowl – they can be fresh or frozen (although frozen is usually preferred and it’s pretty inexpensive as well)! For a super healthy smoothie, feel free to add some greens such as spinach, kale, collared greens, etc.
- Sliced apple/ pear
2. Choose a base. Add enough liquid so that your blender can blend up the fruit and other ingredients. Keep in mind that for a smoothie bowl you’ll want to add as little liquid as possible!
- Milk (oat, almond, dairy, coconut, etc)
- Iced coffee
- Iced green tea
- Coconut water/milk
3. Thicken it up. To make your smoothie bowl nice & creamy, you’ll want to add some ingredients that will thicken it up! Oats & chia seeds work particularly well for this, especially if you let the smoothie bowl sit for a few minutes before eating since the oats and chia seeds will absorb some of the liquid from the smoothie.
- Nut butter (almond, peanut, tahini, etc)
- Greek yogurt
- Ice cubes
- Chia seeds
- Frozen bananas
4. Add some flavors. Add some spices, sweeteners and other flavorings to make your smoothie bowl that much better! I always without fail add vanilla extract to my smoothie bowls to add a little extra flavor. Depending on the fruit that I use I’ll sometimes add some maple syrup, dates or honey as well (although if possible, I try to only use the natural sweeteners of the fruit to make it healthier 😉)!
- Stevia/ Xylitol (I personally do not enjoy the flavor of these and also the grittiness that comes with them, but I know a lot of people do like them so feel free to try them out!!)
- Maple Syrup
- Dates or Figs
- Vanilla extract
5. Power it up. I always try to add some protein powder to my smoothie bowls, but there are so many great ideas for what you can add to your smoothies and smoothie bowls to give them an extra boost!
Power Boost Ideas:
- Protein Powder (whey and veggie based both work well)
- Ground flaxseed
- Vitamin Powder
- Greens Powder
- Acai Powder
- Cocoa Powder (makes it chocolate too!!!)
Not too complicated right!? If you are feeling overwhelmed with all the things you can add, just start off with a frozen banana, strawberries, pineapple, milk of some sort and Greek yogurt and bam! You’ve got a delicious smoothie bowl! Smoothie bowls alone are always good, but if possible I always love to add a couple toppings to give it some crunch and extra goodness! Here are some great (and healthy) ideas to use as toppings for your smoothie bowls!
Smoothie Bowl Topping Ideas:
- Sliced fresh fruit
- Nut butter
- Frozen chickpea cookie dough balls
- Sliced nuts
- Sliced or shredded coconut
- Sea salt
- Chocolate chips or cacao nips
- Granola (make sure it doesn’t have a lot of sugar! here is my favorite 5 minute microwave granola, I literally make it all the time and you can also add peanut butter to make it more clustery!)
- Mesa Cereal
- Dried fruit
- Mint leaves
- Yogurt drops/ bark (great recipe here!)
- Chia seeds
- Rolled Oats
There you go! If you guys have any other ideas on toppings, I love to hear them & try them out for myself! Last, but not least, here are some smoothie bowl recipes that look absolutely amazing! I hope you guys enjoy!
Smoothie Bowl Recipes
I hope you guys enjoyed this and congrats if you made it to the end of this massive post! If you enjoyed, make sure to like, subscribe & comment down below for more similar content! Don’t forget to share on Pinterest as well – it helps me out so much! 💕
Pin this ^^ to Pinterest to save all these recipes for later & also to help support my blog! It’s kinda pretty for your board too right!?
*All Photos Credit To Pinterest*