Hey friends! Creating healthy habits (and actually keeping up with them) is super important for a healthy lifestyle. I don’t know about for you, but for me spring makes me want to set new resolutions and create new healthy habits! With us being on the brink of spring I thought this would be the perfect time to share some healthy habits I’ve been working on, hopefully as some inspiration for you guys – I personally always love hearing what works for other people! ✨
1. Creating a daily to-do list for myself.
This one isn’t particularly a food or exercise one, but it’s so helpful for me so I had to share! I’m such a list person you guys! I have a planning system where I plan out my year, quarter, month, week and then day. I absolutely love breaking down my goals like this and it’s super helpful for me to have my week all planned out!
2. Working out first thing every morning.
This was a tricky habit for me to get used to, but it’s (slowly) getting easier and it’s so nice to have my workout done for the day (although 5:45 am mornings aren’t always the nicest 😉). Also it’s really the only time I have in my day to get my workout in, so for me it’s usually wake up early and workout, or no workout. No matter what time of day is best for you to workout, getting at least 30 minutes in a day is soooo important! I feel so much better when I workout and it’s so totally worth it you guys!
3. Going to bed earlier.
Obviously, if you’re waking up early to workout it’s super important to get to bed earlier! Sleep is so, so, so important you guys and I have definitely noticed that my quality of life is just that much better when I get enough sleep. I also am less sick when I am getting good sleep, so that’s a plus as well!
4. Eating whole foods whenever possible (with a focus on veggies).
I’ve found that most of the processed foods that I eat are snacks, so I always try to reach for some veggies, plain greek yogurt w/ fruit or hummus instead of chips, cookies, crackers, pretzels and other processed, high carb foods. If I’m crazing something sweet in the afternoon, I like to have some fruit or protein balls for a treat. Overall though, I try to focus on eating
5. Fasting for about 16 hrs each night.
I know so many people have different opinions on this one but for me I’m just not a huge breakfast person. I usually don’t eat after dinner then eat next at lunch. This works really well for me and I love giving my body a while to just cleanse after eating!
6. Drinking water 90% of the time.
Water is so, so important for being healthy! I’m so thankful that nobody in my family is really a huge soda drinker and we actually rarely have it in the house. I drink water 90% of the time, with the other 10% being filled with green tea and the occasional seltzer water (gotta love some refreshing La Croix!!) or coffee.
7. Getting outside each day.
I’ll be honest – I really try hard with this one but don’t always succeed. XD I try to either go on a walk or go running outside every day. Obviously this doesn’t always work, especially in the winter but it’s a good goal to aim for!
8. Avoiding sugar.
For the past couple of months I’ve really been trying to avoid sugar. It started out in November and at that point I was just trying to avoid refined sugar, then I started cutting out food that basically turns into sugar in your body (like white bread, white flour tortillas, etc.). Right now I’m trying to avoid any sugars that aren’t directly natural (dates, berries, apples, bananas, etc.) and also foods that turn into sugar in your body.
9. Finding ways to make meals healthier.
Instead of trying to eat completely paleo or whole30 for example, I try to find healthier alternatives. This often for me looks like eating unconstructed tacos – basically all the regular taco toppings without a shell. I do this with burritos and fajitas as well. That is just an example and there are so many other ways to make regular meals a little healthier and better for you. Take it one step at a time!
10. Drinking water first.
I know, another one about water, ha! If I’m getting hungry (especially in the afternoon) I usually like to drink water before automatically eating something. Often, I’ll forget that I was hungry or if I am actually hungry, I’ll grab some sliced deli meat turkey, nuts, rice cakes, fruit or veggies.
I’d absolutely love to hear about your healthy habits – I’m always looking for new ideas! Also, on a slightly different note, I’ve been really into RX bars recently (anyone who’s tried them knows what I’m talking about 😉) and was wondering if anyone would like to see a copycat recipe!? I’ve kind of made up my own and it’s so good – I’d love to share it with you if anyone’s interested! 😁
If you enjoyed this post, don’t forget to like, subscribe, comment & share to Pinterest! All of those can be done down below! 👇