Hey guys! Recently I’ve been working on trying to be a little more healthy/find healthy alternatives to unhealthy foods. It can honestly be super easy and doing a little really can add up. This isn’t about going on a diet or cutting out everything you enjoy eating, nope, this is about finding some healthier alternatives and enjoying the process of getting healthier.
1. Snack on nuts & dried fruit*, instead of chips/cookies. Instead of heading for the chips & cookies, switch to nuts & dried fruit. It will keep you full for longer and isn’t as processed.
*Check to make sure that the dried fruit doesn’t have added sugar. You’d honestly be surprised at how much added sugar can be in it. O.o
2. Focus on drinking water. If you’ve ever done any research whatsoever on health, than you’ll know that soda and other sweetened drinks are soooo unhealthy. Stick with water, which will keep you hydrated and feeling great all day!
3. Switch out your milk. Rather than using cows milk for your cereal, oatmeal or even for your baking, use almond milk, coconut milk or some other milk. It can take a little adjusting to get used to (especially if you’ve been drinking cows milk for a while), but once you get used to it, you can hardly tell a difference.
4. Go with a smaller portion & savor it. Honestly, do you really need that huge slice of cake, or that big bowl of ice cream? You can totally still enjoy a little of your favorite food, but just cut down on the portion size.
5. Skip the salad dressing. Salads are pretty healthy, except for the dressing. All the oil and often added sugar in the dressings can be super unhealthy. I’ve started skipping the dressing on most of my salad’s, and even though they don’t taste completely the same, they’re pretty similar and so much healthier!
6. Do you really need the sweetener? This is a tricky one, but what are you adding extra sugar to? For me, a few things I was adding sugar to were oatmeal and tea. It’s been tricky to adjust to these things without sugar (or another alternative sweetener), but it’s well worth the adjusting. 😉
7. When at a restaurant or ordering takeout, save half the portion. Have you ever noticed that often restaurant portions are huge!? If you order takeout or are dining in at a restaurant, save half the portion (or at least some of it) for a meal later. Or, order a kids meal. You’ll still get to enjoy the food, but without overindulging.
8. If you’re going to an event with unhealthy food… If you know you’re going to a party or other social event, where there will be unhealthy food (such as a pizza party, for example) eat something healthy at home first. This is helpful for two reasons, 1) You’ll already be a little full, so you’ll be able to enjoy the party food without getting too much and 2) Often there are some activities before eating, so if you don’t eat something you’ll probably be hungrier and overeat.
I hope these tips will be helpful for you guys! Do you have any little things you do to stay healthy? I’d love to hear from you in the comments below!
All photos credit to unsplash.com.